Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Modern Style Face Mask


I'm working on refining a collection of masks that I'm selling on Etsy. We're going to be wearing masks for a while, so it might as well be fun, right? There will be times that we don't want to wear a disposable strictly utilitarian mask. I like this one because it's fresh and modern, kind of artsy, and doesn't introduce lots of new colors to my outfit. 

The back side is white so it's reversible. It has a nose wire. It's washable, but I wouldn't subject it to the high heat of machines. Hand washing will make it last longer. Three layers of cotton fabric provide extra filtration.

So I've been looking at mask making videos to get ideas for improvements. Do you like ties? Or do you prefer elastic? Any input/suggestions would be appreciated.

The masks shown below were made from Kaffe Fasset fabric for Mother's Day. Only one left from the whole bunch.







7 comments:

PymaGirl said...

I love your material. I used quilting material to make several pleated masks. I made the ones with ties as I feel you get a better fit and they fit all sizes. I put batting as a filter and it's easy to disinfect each one after wearing.

PymaGirl said...

I should have added I used different coordinating material for each side and the ties. Perhaps someone who sees me when I'm wearing one will think "Oh, she's a quilter!" I only had pipe cleaners on hand, so I used them for the nose pieces. I made my husband's out of shirting material to look "manly". Stay safe.

Mary-Jeanine said...

Of all the tie and elastic ideas, my favorite is ties made of tshirt yarn. Never frays, never tangles in the wash, comfortable to wear, AND FREE! My friends have been dropping off old t-shirts.

Sally Langston Warren said...

I like the T-shirt ties the best too! I work in a grocery store and need something comfortable as well as something that doesn’t need constant readjustment. The T-shirt ties are comfortable and once you put it on and tie it, it stays put. I use a piece of floral wire for the nose and nice cotton fabric for the mask. I have use tightly woven shirt fabric from old Brooks Brothers shirts as well as batik fabric. My masks have 3 layers of fabric with a pocket to add a filter if desired. I also like that the T-shirt ties make the mask easily adjustable to fit everyone’s face. . My family prefers the elastic loops for the ears, I think because they want something to just slip on quickly to run into the store, then slip off quickly when they are done.

Paula said...

Another vote for t-shirt ties. My son prefers the elastic and a fitted style mask. My husband and I like the pleated style with ties. Our favorite method is to put long ties through a casing so you can adjust the length of ties top and bottom. Then you can tie the ones that go around the neck, pull it over your head, and just tie the upper ties. Easier than trying to tie it under your hair. Or, you can put a continuous long tie from top to bottom on one side, then bottom to top on the other. Then the bottom one is pre-tied, so to speak. Just slide the mask along the ties to adjust fit.

Mary-Jeanine said...

Oh Paula, thanks for that...I've been having problems tying and untying that bottom tie if my hair is down. I'm gonna try both of those ideas for myself.

Selvage Quilter said...

Wow, lots of good ideas! Thanks!