Monday, September 14, 2009

Jodie Carleton Featured in Ready Made


Have you seen the September/October issue of Ready Made magazine? Take a look at page 16 to see a selvage bag by selvage genius Jodie Carleton of Australia. (Check out some of her truly incredible selvage creations in the sidebar at right.) I think this magazine should have featured her frock or her chair! But I guess they wanted to show something easy that readers could whip up in an afternoon. (How do you attach those handles?)

Update: Jodie says, "The handles are a fake leather and they had existing holes, I just hand sewed them on - using a big thimble.- It was a pain to be honest but they do look good!"

See Jodie's blog at: http://www.vintagericrac.blogspot.com/. The magazine's site is: http://www.readymade.com/.

If you have made a selvage item, why not send a photo to a magazine for possible publication? What's the worst that could happen?

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

She is so very clever! I love that little bag. So cute with the nicest handles too. I have trouble finding many handles over here.

Betsy said...

I have never seen this magazine. Where is it available at?

Selvage Quilter said...

I found it at Borders or Barnes and Noble. It wasn't with the quilting magazines, though. It was laying flat on the bottom shelf, not upright on a rack. So you might have to ask an employee if you don't see it.

I never saw this magazine before, but I was keeping an eye out for Jodie. She said they don't get it in Australia. I mailed it to her after taking this photo for all of you to see.

Yayy, Jodie. Making selvage history!

Karen

CyndeJo said...

This bag is so great, and I agree how do you attach those handles. I would love to find great handles like that!

Selvage Quilter said...

I think you'd need a heavy duty sewing machine like the ones that shoe repair shops use to sew through the leather handles. I guess you could bring it to a shoe repair shop and ask them to do it. I'll email Jodie and find out what she did.
Karen

Abby and Stephanie said...

I just subscribed! Two years for the price of one--$19.95. Can't wait to get my first issue. Thanks!!! I love everything Jodie makes. She's clever, creative, and FUN!