Monday, July 29, 2013

Heartwarming Quilts and My Dad


Today is my wonderful Dad's birthday. He would have been 87 today. In honor of him, I'm posting a collection of truly awesome vintage quilts. The first one (above) is from Farmgirl Fare. I love the lime green in the corner of each fan.


This tree of life quilt is a real classic. Found at Vintage Quilt Shop.


This target or pine burr quilt is from Laura Fisher Quilts.


The vintage bow tie quilt above is from Tex-Made.com. Nice photo too.


This lovely pink lone star quilt is from RickRack.com.


This exquisite quilt is from the collection of the American Folk Art Museum and found on Pinterest. Look at those 22 appliqued trees! This is a major achievement in applique and piecing! I think my Dad would have liked this one best because he appreciated precision and he favored the combination of red, green, and yellow. (Yes, little girls ask what colors people like best, and they remember the answer for decades, right?)

A bit about my Dad: He was a "people" person and related warmly to all kinds of people. He was also very good at math.  He could make any ordinary event into lots of fun. When I was a toddler we used to unpack grocery bags in our kitchen and take a little bite out of each thing. Haha. I don't think my Mom appreciated this, but I thought it was a real adventure. We made a game out of throwing pennies into a muffin tin that was propped up on a bed pillow while we stood at the foot of the bed. I got to jump on the bed too. And he made the most delicious apple pie and French toast. He could sing Christmas Carols in English and Latin. He used to put a satin blanket in the wheel barrel and put me on top of it and jog around the yard giving me a ride. He made an igloo for us one year. I think you get the idea. I'm so lucky, I know. My younger two sisters and brother enjoyed all these things too. As you can see, I could write a whole book about my Dad. I love remembering all these things.

11 comments:

Dar said...

What wonderful memories you have of your dad. He does sound like a great father and you and your siblings were very lucky to have a father that took the time to "play" with you all and make those memories. Your vintage quilts were nice to see. I have a collection of antique quilts, maybe one day I will photograph them all and show them to everyone.

Donna~~ said...

Such wonderful memories! He sounds like a marvelous Dad--have you carried on any of his fun?

Nicky said...

Great memories! He did a fabulous job!

Loving that gorgeous bow tie quilt in particular!

Selvage Quilter said...

These aren't my quilts; I found the photos on the Internet. Like window-shopping. Haha.

Aliceart said...

He sounds like a great dad; I know you miss him very much. Thank you for the smile and memories today. I miss my dad too.

regan said...

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful quilt pics and your beautiful memories of your Dad! He sounds like he was quite a guy, and a great dad!

Nifty Quilts said...

Beautiful quilts and a lovely tribute to your father.

Kim said...

Sounds like your Dad loved being a dad, nice for you to have all those special memories from your childhood.
I really enjoy all the fun things you find online to share with us too.
Happy Sewing

Sara said...

your dad sounds like he was the type that made all the other kids in the neighborhood wish they lived at your house. I sure enjoyed your memories of him.

audrey said...

Beautiful! Love the selection of quilts you found. Wonderful memories.:)

Taos Sunflower said...

What a wonderful dad, indeed. You're so lucky to have all those great memories.