Friday, August 28, 2009

Notable Mailboxes

These two mailboxes cracked me up on a recent drive through Connecticut. I love the post above, so elegant yet modest. Definitely an Onion Chair person, don't you think?

I don't know what to think about this mailbox repair job! Maybe they couldn't find the screwdriver? It can't be that they just like duct tape; there's too much energy there. I'm thinking someone said, "Okay! I fixed your stupid mailbox!" Do you think there's out-going mail in there, or the flag's just stranded in the "up" position? I doubt the owners want to discuss it.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Helen said...

LOL!!!

Love the first picture, and like you -- that second one has me a little befuddled. I just have no comment for that one!!

Have a great day.

Hugs

Susan said...

I know, I know!!! *waves hand in air, wildly*

As a rural mailbox owner and smash victim, I can tell you why it's all duct-taped together. Because they're sick of fixing it all the time and the tape makes a bit of a statement like "you've already hit us, go away."

Personally, I kind of like it. lol Pink duct tape would be better, though. :)

I like the first one a lot, but out here, it would just attract bat or 2x4 attention sooner.

Jocelyn said...

How funny. The wrapped mailbox made me think of the days when the high school seniors would drive down the road with a baseball bat and hit all the mailboxes in our neighborhood. It happened for years, and yes we lost a few mailboxes. My neighbor fixed that problem by setting his mailbox into a concrete post. Funny we haven't had that problem ever since ;-)
Jocelyn

Unknown said...

LOL!! But I see a lot of like second pic mailboxes in my neighborhood.
I'm living on busy street and every winter we have victims of snow plowers. You don't believe how fast the trucks go!!
We have red taped ones, rope tied ones in my neighbors right now:)

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

How funny, maybe the person with the taped mail box likes the show on pbs where the guy uses duct tape for everything.

Selvage Quilter said...

Well that makes a lot of sense...a mailbox that has been the victim of smashes, (snowplow and otherwise) just wants to say "enough already!" I get it now.