Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"Salvaged Selvedges" by Linda Robertus

See the back of the quilt below.



Linda Robertus of Brisbane, Australia has finished her quilt, "Salvaged Selvedges" for an article in the December issue of "Down Under Quilts" and it is truly stunning! She used the "quilt as you go" method, so each block was already quilted before assembling the quilt. Isn't this a beauty? See more photos at: http://www.q-linda.blogspot.com/.

See the online version of Down Under Quilts at: http://www.downunderquilts-digital.com/downunderquilts/issue125/ It's free.

Linda has a few other things on her plate at the moment too. She's a PhD candidate at the University of Queensland. Her topic is the transmission of tuberculosis. Yikes! And she's a Mom, she has a job, and she just discovered the joy of Photoshop! I need a nap!

11 comments:

CJ said...

WOWSA!!

Debbie said...

Amazing! I love the way Linda arranged the blocks and colors. The quilt as you go was perfect for it. I was wishing for closeup photos and found them on Linda's blog! WOW! I've been aspiring to make a rainbow style selvage project. My selvage stash is slowly growing and I can't wait till I get there!
(Karen, please read my private email to you from yesterday.)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Well she's a busy lady! Being a mom makes me want a nap and my kids are in their 20s! Fantastic quilt.

Unknown said...

WOW, that's amazing!!!

Vivian said...

Absolutely lovely! I adore the simplicity of the quilt-as-you-go method. Once the blocks are together, you're almost done.
THANK YOU for the links to her blog and to the Down Under magazine. After seeing dozens of potential projects you've shared with us, I think this is the one for me. It'll help deplete my selvages, and I can work on it gradually.

Jean said...

Nice job!!! I will have to go to her blog and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Wow that quilt is amazing!

Linda Robertus said...

Thanks Karen! I should add that I am actually applying for a PhD candidacy at the moment, so am not a confirmed candidate yet...

Greenmare said...

that is fabulous!!!! My dream selvage quilt! How will I sleep thinking about doing that???

Carrie P. said...

Awesome quilt!!!!

June Calender said...

What a wonderful, wonderful selvage quilt. Makes me want to go right into my sewing room instead of going to bed tonight. I've been thinking that my mostly white selvages could be dyed in small quantities in plastic containers [as I have no other dying facilities] Now I know I MUST do it and make a quilt similar to this. I'm already practiced at that kind of double sided quilt -- oh, I'm so psyched!