Monday, January 10, 2011

Field Trip Today! We're Going Swimming

Yes, it's another surprise Selvage Blog field trip! Since this is a virtual trip, you are just in time. And it's free! As I write this, the wind is howling and it's freezing cold! Isn't blogland wonderful? (Each place is described below the photo, just so you know.)

This infinity edge pool was featured in Elle Decor magazine. Isn't it exquisite? They don't say where it is.

The largest indoor swimming pool in the world is the "Ocean Dome" in Japan. It's 300 meters long by 100 meters wide. It looks like it has waves.

The world's largest outdoor swimming pool is in Chile. It's 1,000 yards long, covers 20 acres, and holds 66 million gallons of water. I bet it's easy to get a room with a pool view here.

The Joule Hotel in Dallas, Texas is famous for its pool which partially hangs off the 8th story! That would make me really nervous. I hope that glass wall is very strong. No group cannonballs, ladies!

The pool above is in Bali, photographed by Sean McGrath, posted on Flickr. Oh yes, please!
Which is your favorite?

16 comments:

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I think I like the one in Bali. I love all the trees around it. The one on top of the hotel would make me panic, no thanks on that one. What a nice little trip you gave us. It is cold here and started to dump that 5 to 8 inches of snow that is coming and following it bitter cold and a strong wind.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I think I love the infinitey edge pool. Wouldn't it be a great addition to the back yard :-)

Trudi said...

Thanks for the trip! I think it has to be the Bali pool for me, so peaceful looking. But Dallas, no thanks, it would freak me out!

Bec Clarke said...

Wow thank you so much for the wonderful trip. Where do you find such amazing pictures???
I love the water and to swim, unfortunately if I swim in a Dam here on the farm I would get covered in Leeches and I can't even stand the thought.

SzycieUli / UlaSewing said...

wonderful trip! It's nice rest from snow and frost :) I love the pool in Joule Hotel in Dallas- exciting!

Anonymous said...

I think the pool in Chile would be the one for me! The added bonus of the ocean is right there, so you have the best of both! Lovely shots!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I love the infinity edge pool from Elle Decor. It blends in like a chameleon. We're above single digits today so I'm feeling warmer already. :o)

FabricFascination said...

I love to swim, so this is a very hard choice. Although for sheer beauty I like the round infinity pool, I will have to go with the outdoor largest pool in the world that looks like a lake. Lots of swimming room there!

Tina Craig said...

Eek! You couldn't pay me to get in that pool in Dallas! The resort in Chile would be a dream.

Anonymous said...

Bali looks very calming perfect for me. the having an infinity edge pool in my own yard would be a dream.
The one in Dallas well it makes me nervous just looking at it!
Thank you for the little holiday :)

Rene' said...

Thanks for the field trip!!! Who knew you could visit such wonderful places while doing the laundry ;-) I love the infinity edge pool!!! I have never seen one in this setting before...usually they are designed for lake or ocean front. Very peaceful!!

Jocelyn said...

Wow these are amazing! Even though I live in Florida, it has been cold, so NO swimming here.

JoAnne in southern California said...

I like the indoor pool in Japan. Knowing their technology, its roof is probably made so no one would be getting sunburn. All day "in the sun" with no more sunscreen. That would be fantastic!

Katy said...

Oh, I've always LOVED looking at photos of swimming pools!! These are fabulous ones. Thanks so much for bringing some beauty of the summer/water into our winter lives!The huge outdoor one looks neat- they have boats- whoa! That's big!

Mary said...

Those pictures are awesome. I feel warmer already. My favorite is the Chile resort. Let's break out the sunscreen!

LN in TX said...

The infinity edge pool is my favorite - I like the plush greenery and the peaceful looking atmosphere.