Saturday, January 10, 2009

Selvages from the Ivory Coast, Africa


This interesting fabric is from Cote D'Ivoire (the Ivory Coast). The daughter of a dear friend of mine moved there in 2008 and sent me some very interesting fabrics.

We've seen the reference to "real wax" on African fabrics here on this blog (in the Red Zinger quilt), referring to the printing process. This fabric has a very tight weave, and feels a little stiffer than our typical quilting fabric. I haven't washed it yet, but I will because I want to know if that navy blue is going to run!

What a bold pattern. I have no idea how it will work in a quilt yet, but it will.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bught some beautiful traditional fabric this past November 2008 in Grand Bassam. I hope soon to have photos of it up in my blog, which can be found at http://IvoryCoastTraveler.blogspot.com

sewkalico said...

I have a lot of African fabrics and would advise serious pre-washing as they do tend to run a lot!, but they also soften with washing and these bold patterns mixed with solids can make striking quilts. I am sure you will enjoy using them.