Sunday, February 6, 2022

New Quilt Pattern: Checkmate and a Little Trick!

                                    

The little squares in this quilt remind me of castle walls or the rooks in a chess game. And this quilt is a real winner, hence the name: Checkmate. It's just a center medallion with three solid borders and three "little squares" borders. 

Take a look at the corners of the pieced borders: they're rather perfect! Haha. This isn't due to genius or great sewing skills. Just a "liberated quilting" trick: increase the seam allowances here and there between the squares until you get the perfect length. See pattern for details and photos.

See the pattern here: Checkmate Quilt Pattern







The colors are more accurate in these last two pics. The fabrics used are: Kona Charcoal, Kona Stone, and Kona Cream. I'm enjoying a break from the scrappy look for a while. Modern vibes here. :)




4 comments:

Quilts & Comforter Mum said...

Hello,
I really like your Checkmate Quilt Pattern. But I wonder: the lines do not seem to be straight. Is that correct or it's an optical illusion ?

June Calender said...

Karen, I have been AWOL from the blog world for a couple of years but just renewed my blog (to write about a novel just published) and came back to your blog which I always loved -- your designs are still super. I've made a couple selvage quilts in the meantime and inspired another quilter here on Cape Cod to do the same. I hope you'll have a look at my revised blog and maybe be curious about the novel ... even want to purchase and read it.

Selvage Quilter said...

Quilts and Comforter Mum,
It's an optical illusion. The lines are actually straight. I should make a pattern for a quilt featuring this illusion.
Happy quilting,
Karen

Selvage Quilter said...

June,
I will definitely get your book! Congratulations!
Karen