Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Entrelac Knitting!


Last night I took a class on entrelac knitting from Ginger, owner of the local yarn shop: In Sheep's Clothing in Torrington, CT. This is what I've knitted so far. It looks strange, but Ginger says it's right. Like most beginner projects, this will be a scarf. Haha.

Here's a beautiful example (below) of what a completed entrelac knit looks like. When I first saw it, I wanted to slide my finger between the squares to see if it was open, but it's not.


The photo above is from the book "Entrelac: The Essential Guide to Interlace Knitting" by Rosemary Drysdale. I haven't read this book but I've seen excerpts. I think the instructions would be adequate if you were comfortable with knitting instructions. Otherwise, lessons are better. 


Isn't this skirt amazing? It's by Kathryn Alexander Designs. She's offering a class for this at the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, NY, this weekend. 
Any knitters out there? I like to dabble in all kinds of needlework now and then.




9 comments:

cottonreel said...

I also like dabbling but oooooh

The AfterCraft said...

AAahhh.. My mother asks me everytime I talk to her if I have seen this.. now I have. It looks amazing!
Is it on difficulty par of cable knitting?

AKA organized knitting?

PeggySuesMom said...

I love to dabble too! The problem is there aren't enough hours in the day to do it all!!

Deb said...

Oh, your start reminds me that I have one of those in process. I should pull it out. Funny how you wanted to stick your finger in it - it looks like you can, but it's all stitched up. Can't wait to see more progress.

susiloci said...

No conocía esta forma de tejer, es bellísimo!!!!!!!!!!!

Dar said...

Oooh, I have not seen that kind of knitting before. Looks interesting. When I find some extra hours in the day, I may have to give it a try. I like learning and trying anything new that involves needles, fabric, yarn and using my hands. Thanks for sharing.

Ginger said...

Katherine is Fabulous! I took a workshop with her through Nutmeg Spinners Guild years ago. I will be taking another workshop, at the Gathering the first weekend in Nov. through the Northeast Hanspinners Association at the Heritage Hotel in Southbury.
She is a wonderful artist in so many mediums.

Ginger said...

Katherine is Fabulous! I took a workshop with her through Nutmeg Spinners Guild years ago. I will be taking another workshop, at the Gathering the first weekend in Nov. through the Northeast Hanspinners Association at the Heritage Hotel in Southbury.
She is a wonderful artist in so many mediums.

Cassandra said...

I'm a newbie knitter! I was looking for a video on YouTube about how to k2tog and there was a video on the sidebar for entrelac. I was intrigued by the image so I watched it. HOW COOL!!! It's definitely going on my list of knitting skills to learn. :) How fun that you get to take a class on it!