Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Classic Log Cabin Quilt - Selvage Variation

I made this quilt in 2005 for the book "Quilts from the Selvage Edge." With this project, I was happy to discover that selvages could be used to create a satisfying traditional style quilt.

This quilt is surprisingly quick and easy to make. Cut muslin foundation squares 12" x 12," or whatever size you like. Cut red squares 2 1/2." Place a red square in the center of a muslin square (by eye).

Cut the first selvage a little longer than the 2 1/2." For the first 4 logs, use selvages that have a white stripe so that it will be nice and sharp next to the red. Place it along one side of the red square, overlapping the red a quarter inch or so. Topstitch along the bound edge of the selvage. Moving in a clockwise direction, rotate around the center square placing and topstitching selvages.

It isn't necessary that the selvages be all the same width. Some blocks will have more or less "logs." The key is the placement of dark and light selvages. It might help to make a pile of darks and a pile of lights before starting. This is so relaxing.

Selvage quilts are machine washable and dryable, so this can be a useable quilt, not just a conversation throw. Have fun.

10 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Any chance there are plans in the works for another selvedge book?

Mishkat said...

This is such a good idea! It seems like an obvious use for selvages when I look at it, but I wouldn't have thought of it myself. Thanks!

Jocelyn said...

Love this quilt. But you must have had a LOT of selvages. Check my blog later today. I am posting me feeble attempt at a selvage project :-)

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

blushing rose said...

Spectacular quilt! TTFN ~Marydon

Jean said...

Beautiful quilt...I want to make another project with selvages...it was so much fun.

Helen said...

I love this...thanks for sharing.

Hugs

Linda in Calif. said...

Beautiful!! Just Beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Love the quilt.
BIG THANKS to Karen that finding the way to use selvages!!!

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Another great idea!

Mary Johnson said...

You're so generous with your ideas and patterns on the blog. I have the magazine with the Red Zinger instructions but I've referred so many people to your instructions here on the blog and now you've shared this log cabin quilt from your book. Again, I have the book but it's so nice to be able to point people who don't have it here to the blog where they can find selvage projects too.