Sunday, March 27, 2011

GO SEE THIS EXHIBIT!

The American Folk Art Museum is exhibiting 650 red and white quilts. Not only are the quilts wonderful, but the way the quilts are displayed (back -to -back in huge spirals) will take your breath away! If there is any way you can get to New York City today, Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of this week, please do. You will be reading about this event for years and this is your chance. This free exhibit is located at the Park Avenue Armory, 643 Park Avenue (between 66th and 67th Streets) in New York City. It's about 20 blocks due north of Grand Central Station, a $7 taxi ride. Show hours are: Sunday 11-5, Monday and Tuesday 11-7, and Wednesday 11-5. . I went to see this exhibit yesterday and I think it's the best quilt exhibit I've ever seen. It is the collection of Joanna S. Rose and titled: "Infinite Variety, Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts." A self-described treasure hunter, she's been acquiring quilts since the 1950's at tag sales and the like. To celebrate her 80th birthday she decided she'd like to see all her quilts at the same moment, and give a gift to New York City. Lucky for us, this is what she did. I took countless photos and I'll share the best ones with you soon. There will be a book about this exhibit so keep an eye out for it. You can also get a free app for your iPhone with all 650 images. Visit folkartmuseum.org/infinitevariety.

20 comments:

Connecticut Chronichols said...

Thanks for the info about the iphone app. I'm downloading it now and will be plugging my ipad into my tv to watch it...probably several times.
Sue

Kim said...

It was truly remarkable......more than a show, it was a visually stunning experience!

Sorry I missed seeing you there Karen!

happy Sewing,
Kim

Kay said...

I envy everyone who saw the show. The story behind the exhibit is wonderful too, isn't it?

Abby and Stephanie said...

I would absolutely love to see this exhibit but alas, my private jet is in for repairs. :o) Don't you think there should be a jet accessible to quilters to zip here and there to see quilt exhibits?

Bonnie said...

As you can imagine, there was no way I could come back to NYC so soon. Sigh. All I have heard about the show has be wonderful. So glad they are going to make a book. That way I will just drool on the pages of the book in the privacy of my own home. I am sure it set your heart spiralling too. Bonnie

Celia Ciuffo said...

Fantástico!!!
Me encantó!!!

Helen said...

I have never seen anything so awe inspiring, Karen. I am starting my red and white quilt today!

Anya said...

I saw it, too! Magnificent, absolutely magnificent!

JoAnne in southern California said...

Happy birthday to Joanna S. Rose! Lucky us! I am excited to see your photos, Karen.

Diane said...

You're right, we are all going to be talking about this one for years. I was there too, but as someone else said, we were all too busy looking up to notice everyone else. It is truly a gift and a once in a lifetime event.

Tina Craig said...

I'm going on Wednesday. Can't wait!

Debbie Littlejohn said...

I was there Saturday and was BLOWN AWAY by the visual impact the show made. We also attended the talk at 5:00 with the "experts". Truly an inspiring day; I am so glad I went.

Cindy Cooksey said...

I wish I could go. It looks absolutely stunning.

OliveStreetStudio said...

I'm hoping to get up there, but TU for the app bc then I can download and watch on my commute.

Unknown said...

So wish I could have been there with you! I was just aching to go. Glad you had a good time and got to meet the other Mom!

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Wow!! Incredible exhibit!! what a pity to be so far away...

stephanie @ Luckystarquilts said...

Got the App...now I'll wait for the book. Wish I could have gone! I can only imagine how cool....
Thanks for the info. I'd like to see your pictures, too.

Rene' said...

What an incredible exhibit! I just downloaded the ipad app and can't wait to start drooling ;-)

LOS ANGELES DE PATCHWORK said...

PRECIOSA,SI TIENES FOTOS PONLAS EN TU BLOG ,VIVO EN SEVILLA SPAIN Y NO PUEDO VERLOS AL NATURAL BESOS MARIA JESUS

meli B said...

Got the app, thanks. Don't think the exhibition will make it to Australia so I guess this is the next best thing.