Saturday, February 21, 2015

Graffiti Quilt - Almost Finished!



I'm planning to finish this quilt today. It's a combination of machine piecing and raw-edge machine applique (both straight stitch and zig-zag). And there's a lot of decorative top-stitching too.
***
This is a custom project for a quilt collector in San Francisco. He wants a graffiti-style wall quilt that's hip, something that feels like it might be from the 1980's. It will measure 60" x 60." We have been sending photos and drawings back and forth. His original inspiration was the Kenzo shirt shown below. I love quilts that surprise me, and this one certainly has. 



Graffiti Quilt close-up photos show some of the top-stitching.


Originally I planned to machine wash and dry the finished quilt to fray the raw edges, but we decided to hold off so he can see if he prefers the crisp raw edges. 
***

Click here to see the listing on Etsy.






12 comments:

ThreeOldKeys said...

oh my goodness this is amazing. i cannot imagine how long it took to envision and design ... wow!

do you know if it will be displayed on a huge wall? i'm imagining a large light space.

i'm also imagining it in red/orange, or purple/yellow ....

Paulette said...

That is awesome!!

Loretta said...

So unique! Love it!

LN in TX said...

Wow! You need to enter that in the Houston Quilt Show. It is fabulous!

June Calender said...

That is a spectacular quilt -- I think you're giving "modern" a new twist.

Mtclifford said...

That is amazing! Excellent work! From a distance it reminds me of boom boxes and the huge stereo systems we had in the 80's. Love it!

Ann said...

Wonderful quilt. I especially like the borders and cornerstones. Congratulations.

Helen said...

New and completely different!!!

Quilteuse Forever said...

It is wonderful! Looks very attractive to make too!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

You are so darned clever! One of the most important things I have learned in life is to look at things through someone else's eyes. You surely see amazing things. I just love this one!

Nifty Quilts said...

Great quilt!! I love the raw edge appliqué, along with the stripy pieced border and fan corners.

trudys_person said...

I love this quilt! Very modern, but it speaks to the past too ... Beautiful!