Sunday, June 2, 2013

Irish Soda Bread


 I made Irish Soda Bread today and it's delicious!
 I'm getting excited about my first trip to Ireland coming up in less than 2 weeks.


Recipe for Irish Soda Bread *

4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
4 tbsp. butter
1 cup raisins
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups buttermilk

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Whisk together: flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
Cut in butter.
Add raisins.
Make a well in flour mixture.
Add beaten egg and buttermilk.
Mix with wooden spoon until dough is too stiff to stir.
Dust hands with flour. Knead a little to form a rough ball.
Put shaggy round loaf on a greased pan.
Cut an X about 1 1/2" deep.
Bake 35-45 minutes.

* This recipe is from Simply Recipes posted there by Elise Bauer.

I think next time I'll add some caraway seeds. Can you think of any other additions or variations? 



6 comments:

Dar said...

It looks beautiful and I'm sure tastes delicious. Yum. Wish I had a piece right now with a cup of tea. Are you going to Ireland with Bonnie Hunter? Have a wonderful time.

Selvage Quilter said...

That sounds like a fun trip with Bonnie Hunter.

I'm going with my Mom, sister Eileen, Mom's cousin and her two daughters. They are from Arizona. We'll have a blast.

JoAnne in southern California said...

The recipe you posted is exactly the same as the one we've used for over three decades in our home. Yummy! We tried caraway seeds only one time.

I'm a little jealous that I can't go with you to visit our ancestors' homeland. Say hello to Ireland for me.

YankeeQuilter said...

Enjoy your trip! I like my Soda Bread with caraway seeds...my sister likes to add chopped up cherries with lemon peel and then ices the bread! (If I'm going to do that I'll make scones!)

Quilteuse Forever said...

Have a wonderful stay in Ireland, it is a lovely country with sooo kind people.
I went to Ireland last year and since then I often bake a soda bread too!

Taos Sunflower said...

Thanks for the recipe. When I was in Sweden last fall, I noticed the slight flavor cardamon seemed to pop up in muffins and other unexpected places, and I loved it. Think I might try your recipe and add some. Have a wonderful trip...hope you make it to Roundstone!