Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How to Make a String Quilt Block


This is a post for newbie quilters. Here's how to make a string quilt block. Use your 6" square ruler. Don't have a 6"? That's okay, use another size. Or another shape. 


You might want to make the center strip (above) using the same fabric in all the blocks so that you get a lattice effect. Make some blocks and play with them on your design wall. 


I like the yellow flower in the upper corner of this block. All the strips don't have to be the same width. The  strips are 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" wide.  But cut them whatever widths you like. This is a very casual method.


You might use sashing between the blocks. Maybe add an outer border. So many possibilities!
Have fun!

5 comments:

Carol said...

Karen, you might be interested to know that the Bee I am in is doing a fanned string block swap from your Fandango quilt on the cover of the book-don't remember the name of it right now. I LOVED making those blocks and bought a newsprint tablet to cut my foundations so I wouldn't have to keep measuring as I made the blocks--we are making them 9.5" untrimmed to swap. Taking the paper off has been easy. I enjoyed it so much as I added to them on my design wall, that I decided to enlarge the quilt so made enough blocks for another row wider and 2 rows longer--so is set 7x9. Those are finished so now on to the border string blocks. It's a great quilt and can't wait to finish it!

JoAnne in southern California said...

Carol, I had never thought of getting a newsprint tablet to use for a foundation. What a great idea! I've used muslin and some poly-cotton fabric I had no other use for. That made my sting quilts rather heavy before I ever got past making the top. I'm buying a newsprint tablet tomorrow, thank you.

Karen, several friends have asked me how to make a strip quilt, I;m going to tell them to look at your directions. They are very good, and beautiful too.

Selvage Quilter said...

I think I'll make a pattern for the Fandango quilt. The way I make it, you don't need any foundation at all.

The swap sounds like lots of fun. What a huge collection of scraps you would get that way.

Kelly Cline said...

I love string quilts. They are addicting!!!!

OliveStreetStudio said...

I've never done a String Quilt before, but over the past couple months, have thought about trying one....thanks for the post. Perfect timing!