Saturday, April 16, 2011

Red and White Pieced Quilts - Part 2

The quilt above is so simple yet it really packs a punch.
You can understand why they chose the quilt above to represent this fabulous exhibit. Although in the photo the pieces in the center seem to blend, in reality they are nice and sharp. There is a little red dot in the center.







What would you call the quilt above? A double monkey wrench? A double nine-patch monkey wrench in-the-air? Haha. This quilter gave it all she had.


And here is an "asterisk quilt!" My Mom said "I thought you made that up!" Haha. There's nothing new under the sun, that's for sure. I'd love to talk with this quilter about how she made it. Each of these "blades" has a name embroidered on it. Wowzers!





Wow, look at the tiny sunflowers in the center of each motif. And all those points and curves! Bravo! It's very humbling to see these incredible quilts. I look like I'm sitting at my computer, but inside I'm jumping up and down clapping my hands.

12 comments:

Linda Robertus said...

WOW, these quilts are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them with us - I wish I could have gone to see that exhibition...

Riel Nason said...

They are all just gorgeous. I have enjoyed every picture! And to think they were made before the time of rotary cutters ... so many of them have so many precise angles!!

June Calender said...

Like your Mom, I thought you invented the asterisk quilt. Embroidered names on the bars is really mind blowing.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the daisy quilt and how fun to see the asterisk. I agree, there is nothing new. Anything someone thinks they've invented today...there is probably an antique version somewhere in the world. Just goes to show you great minds think alike. :o) I'm really enjoying the red and white show.

sosarahsew said...

Before I saw your question, I had already looked up in Block Base for the name of the quilt. I correctly thought it was "Goose in the Pond" but see that it is also known as "Gentleman's Fancy" and "Young Man's Fancy" among other names. I wonder what the connection is between geese and men? Sarah

Elisa Black said...

You took wonderful photos!! Thanks for sharing, especially since I wasn't able to make it there myself and I think you (or another blogger) mentioned that the book won't be out for several more years. Are you liking your new computer?

Browndirtcottage said...

Thanks so much for your up close photos of these FAB quilts in your past 3 posts. You have shown some I had not seen on any other blogs and I certainly enjoyed the close up of the quilting involved. I am soooo into hand quilting and I have earmarked your posts so I can come back and study the quilting designs.....thank you again!!!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I don't even remember the first one! But I love it in it's simplicity!Great pictures, thanks for letting me relive it.

Kim said...

I want to go see them again! I'm enjoying the show through your eyes.

Happy Sewing

JoAnne in southern California said...

Was there information telling you the quilters' names or when they were made? These are all so terrific. Every day I look forward to seeing what new photos you have posted. I am really loving red and white! I like one of those you posted today so much that I am determined to make one just like it. I have put it on my want to make list. Fantastic photos, Karen!

Diane said...

I'm glad you saw the Asterisk quilt too! I also thought that was your own invention!

I agree with whoever said that complicated block was called Goose in the Pond. I think it might also be called Missouri Puzzle.

Nedra said...

I agree, I would like to make every single one of these quilts. Who would have guessed that there could be so many attractive red and white quilts.