Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Monkey Blues

This is my last post from the Portland (Oregon) Art Museum: "Monkey Blues" 1980 by Alden Mason (born 1919, American). Acrylic on canvas. It looks like he squeezed the paint right from the tube. It's about 50" square. I was really taken with this painting because it looks like it was so much fun to make. I love all the detail and the happy improvisational style. It reminds me of a rag rug. Isn't this "awesome?"








Tomorrow I'll show you a great photo of what I saw from the airplane window on my way home. Hehe, you'll have to wait. It's worth it though.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

It's fun to know that you were nearby! So close to Seattle, but still a 3 hour drive away. Great report on Portland and Cannon Beach!

June Calender said...

Yes, that painting looks like wonderful fun to make. It feels like it could have been made by a person with cake icing ability -- just squeeze the tube and make the designs. What joie de vivre!

Anya said...

Oh gosh, all of those patterns would look cool as fabric, too!

Sue said...

Wow! That is beautiful. :)

Mary said...

We both did monkey-related posts - lol. I took at trip out to the Pacific NW a few years ago and could use another one about now. I'm so sick of this heat and humidity. I love this painting...very cool.