Monday, September 19, 2011

My Design Wall Today

This "Staircase" quilt is made from the October "Block of the Month" for Empire Quilters. Coming up with block ideas is one of my little jobs. This is my third year doing that. It keeps me thinking and drawing little designs on napkins and envelopes. Haha.

The block can be seen in the upper left corner, black and light pink. But some of the blocks seems to spread into a non-square shape because I used leftover units in between the blocks. See the photo below. My 27 yo son asked me to make him one of these. No flowers, he wants 1960's style geometrics. I'll show you when I make it.
If you'd like to see how simple this block is to make, take a look at the Empire BOM blog.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Teresa Rawson said...

What a great idea to complicate a simple idea...I love it! I have to admit I was immediately trying to figure out how you got the effect of some of the irregular shaped "blocks." Using leftovers and placing carefully is genius!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Rosa said...

I love it.It`s stunning!!

Nifty Quilts said...

Great quilt! I love how the blocks spill into one another. Looks like a good one for using old stash. It'll be fun to see it in geometrics. I'm going to the Empire blog right now!

Jan said...

Really pretty; I love this pattern.

Sara said...

So simple, and yet so pretty!! I have done several rail fence type of quilts and always love the results no matter what fabric I've used.

Superior Threads said...

What a wonderful quilt. I love the scrappiness (is that a word?). It would be a good pattern for any type of fabric.

Ricci

Ali Honey said...

Thanks that is great!

Sue said...

I love your blog! You can really make me smile. :) Your quilting is beautiful.