Thursday, January 14, 2010

Computer Update

I'm about to throw my computer onto this junk pile! Figuratively speaking, of course. This satisfying photo came from flickr. (I'm using DH's computer now.)

My computer got a virus and I had the whole thing wiped clean. Now I'm trying to get all my stuff back on it, like my operating system, for starters. I have an external hard drive with my photos and files, thankfully. I had McAfee protection, but it didn't work in this case. Apparently hackers are targeting computers with McAfee and Norton security systems, according to the repair techs.

Helpful hint: If you get a screen saying that you have a virus, and another screen pops up offering to fix the problem if you simply click on "Install," don't touch it! Even though it looks like official Microsoft stuff. Those are villans looking for your credit card info. I didn't fall for it, but it's still a hassle to fix.

If you have sent me an email in the last week, it will be a while before I get to read it. I'm not ignoring you :) Don't worry; I'm not contagious.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Have you thought about using an online backup like Mozy (www.mozy.com)? They offer 2GB free each month and then you can pay $5 a month for unlimited storage. I use this and it's awesome. You can store all your pictures and documents so if something like this happens again, you don't have to worry about your data.

I hope you get your computer back up and running again soon. Viruses are the worst.

Gluten Free Store Ltd www.glutenfreestore.co.nz said...

Same thing happened to me mid last year. But I hadn't backed up 18 months of photos. I cant think about it too much because I might go mental! My computer has been "fixed" but its not the same. Damn these hackers and miserable people who do this to us!! (Mind you lesson learned I guess!)

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Same thing happend to me in Oct. I had to have my computer stripped down and re loaded. This thing took over completely and I didn't click install or anything. Just tried to get out of the screen. It was pointless it already had me. My antivirus said I had 7 trojan horses and a ton of other stuff before it finally just died on me. Always a good idea to unhook from the internet in that case. I just wonder what is the point in all of these nasty bugs, it just cost us money to fix them or get a new computer. Humm I wonder now. Also if you go to Kim Komando she has a ton of free saftey downloads and a host of other things. Sounds like it is time to get a Mac. I won't get another PC for sure.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Ugh! Daughter just had a computer meltdown...has to reinstall her hard drive and hopefully recover her portfolio. She's a college student. She has virus protection software.

Carol said...

have always had Apple computers and never a virus. completely worth it.