Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Let's Take a Short Field Trip to NYC

Isn't this handbag amazing? All texture; no color. It caught my eye and I wanted to show it to you. It was in a store window at Rockefeller Center (just 5 steps from the scene below).
This is the statue of Prometheus which is just above the ice skating rink. It's such a popular tourist spot, you can hear many different languages as you stand there. This was a delightfully warm evening recently, especially for March!

This was the scene on 5th Avenue as my husband and I walked to Grand Central Station to take the train back to White Plains. The building with the nice big window used to be Scribner's, a wonderful bookstore with a spiral staircase to a balcony on the second level. The store was paneled with nice dark wood, and it was an elegant, old-world destination when I was in college. Above that nice window it still says "Joseph A. Scribner's and Sons." Now it's disappointingly a bright and modern Sophora, which sells make-up or something of the sort.
So, there's a little taste of NY. It only took a minute and didn't cost a thing! What a deal.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I was born and raised in New York State (Olean), the opposiste side of the City. I just love these photos that you have shared. Do you and your hubby get to go to the City much? And, how long of a train ride is it for you to get back to White Plains?

Selvage Quilter said...

Hi Cindy,
It's a 30 minute train ride, and we live right near the train station so it's very easy. Being new to city living, I think this is so cool, so let me tell you how I come home from the train.

When you arrive in White Plains, the doors open on both sides of the train, so you have to get out on the correct side or this walk will take longer. I learned by trial and error. So, walk along the platform, go down a long cement stairway, arrive outside under a bridge, walk along the sidewalk a short distance, and enter the backdoor of my apartment building using a little key fob (that costs $100 to replace so you don't want to lose it!). Climb about 2 flights of stairs and enter the lobby. Walk past the concierge, the pool, the fitness room, 2 courtyards, the mailroom, then take the elevator to the 18th floor. Our hallway looks just like a hotel. And there you are, home sweet home! Heat water for tea.

We don't go to NYC very often together, but I do go on my own now and then, at least once a month for guild meetings. My husband drives into the City every day for work, so it's a little less fun for him! (The train doesn't go where he needs to go, unfortunately.)

Like you wanted to know all this!!

Karen