Friday, March 21, 2014

Sampler Quilt with Fans and More!


Sampler quilts are so much fun to make because there's very little repetition. I made this one years ago. See the photo above, in the middle, there are 4 red and gold 9-patch blocks? That's what started this whole quilt. I made them with 1" wide strips, so that was enough! Instead of making more, they became the centers of 4 log cabin blocks. There are 2 more identical 9-patches in the quilt; see them (below)?  


This quilt has 2 center medallions.  Notice there are solids and a few prints? There are even some batiks in there. I like the triangles in the outer border. I was surprised (and delighted) to see how this quilt looked when it was finished.


And yes, here are some more fan blocks. See the pattern for them here.

6 comments:

Nedra said...

WOW That's a fabulous quilt. Love your colors and design.

Susan said...

This should definitely be in a quilt museum.
Karen, when are you going to write a book and put all your quilts in it?

Nifty Quilts said...

Wowie! This is a knock-out quilt! One of your all-time best, I think. So unique, so exciting, so YOU!

June Calender said...

Oh, my gosh!!! This is incredible -- a pure outburst of aliveness.

susan718 said...

What an amazing creation!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

this is a FANTASTIC quilt! love it. congrats! I'm still in love with those stinking 1" strips...