Monday, March 10, 2014

Tree of Life Center Medallion with Fan


This is the center portion of a red and white sampler quilt that I made a while back. When I learned a fast and easy way to make half square triangles, I made a bunch of them and decided to create a tree of life design. The foliage got so big that it needed a big root system to balance the design. I made the "root fan" by eye. It's the same method as used in the Ferris Wheel pattern. Are you getting sick of me talking about all the cool things you can do with these fans? I hope not because I still have more, I'm pretty sure. 


This is the whole quilt. See what happens when you learn how to make fast and easy hst's? This is one of my favorite quilts ever. This photo is from a quilt exhibit at the Pearl S. Buck estate in Dublin, PA when I was a member of the Charm Girls quilt group. Hello to my friends Barbara, Helen, Linda, Ellen, and Stephanie!


6 comments:

Jenny M said...

Wow, a stunning quilt. Beautiful Tree of Life!

June Calender said...

Quilters do not often think of "rooting" their trees of life -- yet roots are where so much of the life comes from.

JoAnne said...

Beautiful quilt! What's your fast and easy technique for HST's?

JoAnne in southern California said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Karen! It's stunning.

regan said...

I love this quilt....and your tree of life is gorgeous! The fan roots perfectly balance it! Awesome!

LN in TX said...

Beautiful! I wish I could produce more than one quilt per year...