Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sawdust Fan Quilt


I made this quilt years ago for the AQS/National Quilt Museum "New Quilts from an Old Favorite" competition. This time it was chosen for the traveling exhibit and book: "Sawtooth." 

This quilt started with the four pineapple blocks in the center of the quilt. I played with them on the design wall until I got them into this funny arrangement. You can see this was made during my 1" strip phase.

I like how the fans look like wheels in this quilt. Ironically, these busy wheels seem to provide the "place for your eye to rest" in this quilt. Could it be?


Click here to see the pattern for making fans. 


4 comments:

June Calender said...

I think it was very gutsy to make such a very busy quilt. You're right about the fans giving the eye a rest. Remarkably it all really, really works. You're amazing.

Sherrill said...

When I click on the 'here' to see how the fans are made, the link takes me to Amazon and the Sawtooth book.

Selvage Quilter said...

Oops, I'll fix the link. Thanks for letting me know.

Dinah said...

Gorgeous quilt!