Saturday, October 11, 2008

Elena Tells How to Make Selvage Postcards




If you don't already know how to make a selvage postcard, you will in 1 minute. Apply your selvages to stiff interfacing like Pellon (the non-fusible kind). Trim to a rectangle a little larger than your postcard stock. Attach your selvage block to the postcard by sewing a nice zigzag stitch around the outer edge. See the bottom photo.Trim. All done. Aren't these pretty? They travel well in the mail, and require a first class stamp.
These were made by Elena McDowell, and she told me how to make them. If you have been following this blog, you know that she is the one who received that 5 pound bag of selvages from her friends at a quilt shop. That explains how she can make such a fancy color arrangement:-)
Check out Elena's work at http://www.quiltsbyelena.com/, and http://www.carolinasqsuirrel.etsy.com/. Also, look for Elena's quilts at the North Carolina State Fair. Go Elena!!

9 comments:

Patricia said...

I love this idea and so will my 15 year old daugher who is completely into recycleing. (bad speller, i know.) I'm going to show her this and give her all my selvages. thanks again.

Mam said...

I'm posted about this on my site One Mother of a Blog. Thanks for a great inspiration, can't wait to try making one.

Millie said...

Just love your blog and all the cool ideas.

Kiera-Oona said...

I was saving my selvedges from quilting for the purpose of finding the same material again for various projects, if i came accross them again....I stumbled across your blog while looking through various quilting and craft blogs. I was actually buying fabric for the Brushfire Quilt Project, and told the lady cutting my fabric about your blog. I think her jaw dropped about 10 inches as she was thinking of how much time some of these projects (especially the dress) would take. I personally think its an awesome idea....mind you my other half is questioning my sanity from holding onto my selvedges, but Im hoping to make something cool once i get enough of them

Nihal said...

Oh my, super lovely idea! I will create my own p/cards using this method. Am very good at quilted p/cards but this way of making selvage cards is just new for me.

Linda50 said...

You have so many pictures of crative selvage pieces. This postcard is a perfect start for selvage sewing.
Thank you.

Diana said...

Lovely and colorful! I shared the link with my little Aceo/Postcard group. Thanks for sharing.

onelegdraggin said...

I can imagine a tie or mug rug with his favorite hobby/likes. Perhaps a wonky scene surrounded by selvage strips. Sounds good to me.

gakernil said...

I love making the postcards but the post office is giving me fits. I mailed with full postage with a clear sleeve and some were delivered and a bunch of them returned to me saying I had to pay 39 cents extra for hand stamping. I took them out of the sleeves and remailed them 5 days ago and have yet to hear if anyone has received them. has the post office slowed down so much that they are taking such a long time for delivering. I have another friend that is making cards and not having any issues sending, I am rather confused but want to make Christmas postcards but now gun shy. anyone having issues?