Sunday, October 12, 2008

Onion Chair Delights Receptive Hearts!

Isn't this a wonderful chair? It is located outside the gift shop at the Botanical Garden in Bermuda. As my husband and I sipped our iced tea, I noticed that every child who passed by sat in this chair. It seemed to me that they did this with some sense of expectation. Their expression said, "I wonder what will happen if I sit in this chair." Typically they would get comfortable, lift their feet up in the air a little, look around, enjoy the moment and move on. They looked happy, like occupying the "onion chair" for a moment was satisfying.

I wonder if quilters who enjoy selvages are the same ones who would try out the onion chair. I think maybe so.
God, the Creator, loves to give us good things like the joy of making quilts that surprise us with their beauty, and the friendship of our quilting buddies. We don't need to work and strive to be creative. We simply need to keep our hearts open to these "onion chair opportunities" and quiet moments with Him. Might we recapture some delicious child-like wonder...beyond our wildest dreams? I think so!

6 comments:

Elena said...

Karen, That chair is so amazing!! And what a great new mantra, "Onion Chair Creativity"--that is an outlook we all should adopt. How come I never saw anything as cool as that on the 2 Bermuda visits my husband and I took? I would have sat in it!!!

Selvage Quilter said...

LOL! Elena, your house is probably full of onion chairs!

Christina said...

I love to read stuff like that, it reminds me that I'm not the only one with such random thoughts. I hope you have an "onion chair creative" day.

Carrie P. said...

I would certainly sit in that onion chair. Fun. Love those selvage postcards from the previos entry.

Selvage Quilter said...

I think we should have a selvage quilter's field trip to Bermuda to contemplate the onion chair. We can swim in that beautiful water part of the time, and create cool quilt stuff the rest of the time! Oh, wouldn't that be THE BEST?

Helen said...

Thanks for telling us about the onion chair. I love visiting your blog and being enlightened and uplifted. You bring lots of enthusiasm.

Again, thank you.