Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Possibly the Strangest Fabric Ever!

I guess you could call this "shirting," if you think anyone would want to sport a shirt decorated with skewered grasshoppers. (Well, I do know some guys who would like that, come to think of it!) I don't know what this image has to do with 1870-1890. If you know, please post a comment!

This selvage photo was contributed by Elena McDowell from Raleigh, NC. She sees a lot of selvages, and she's keeping a keen eye out for the "good ones" for us. Thanks, Elena:)

It makes you want to check out her work at: www.quiltsbyelena.com and www.carolinasquirrel.etsy.com.

3 comments:

Karrin Hurd said...

The dates mean it is a reproduction of fabrics made during that time period. There are a lot of civil war and earlier reproduction fabrics.
I know, because I searched out these fabrics when I was making my Dear Jane Quilt, which is a civil war era reproduction quilt

The Calico Cat said...

Karrin is right & there are a lot of funky shirtings from that period.
http://www.onestitchatatime.com/images/Fabric425.jpg
Most appear to be dots, stripes, small flroals...

I like to use them as "lights" in my quilts instead of white on whites, cream on cream, etc.

Sally said...

Cricket playing billiards (not skewered cricket) was a reproduction shirting from that time period. It's one of my favorties