Monday, June 7, 2010

Welcome to the Quilt-Along!

Welcome to the Quilt-Along! Today (and for the next two Mondays) we're going to have a tutorial here on the Selvage Blog showing how to make this quilt. You can join officially by going to http://www.flickr.com/ and joining the Group called the "Old Red Barn Quilt Company." Then you can share photos of your version of the Asterisk quilt, and chat with other quilters (and me).



There are already over 1,200 members! Join us, this will be fun. This quilt block looks like it might be aggravating to make, but it's really easy. No triangles to cut. You'll like this!

The photo above just shows a layout of some of my first blocks. The whole quilt below shows the border.

I designed this quilt. Another version of it appeared in the May/June issue of Quiltmaker magazine. This time I'm making it in solids. I think it would also look great made from scraps.

To make one block: cut one 6" square, and one 1" strip about 32" long. (See above and below.)

I like how striped fabrics look when used for the 1" strips. (Scroll way down for examples.)


Twin quilt: For a quilt that measures 56" wide x 72" long, make 88 blocks. Cut each block 6" square. Cut 88 strips 1"wide x 32" long. (Save leftovers for the border.)
Fabric requirements: 2.5 yards for the blocks, and 2.5 yards for the strips.
Add an additional 2 yards of scraps for the borders.
Wall quilt: For a smaller version, 36" x 36," make 25 blocks. Cut each block 6" square. Cut 25 strips 1" wide x 32" long. (Same as above. Save leftovers for the border.)
Fabric requirements: 1 yard for the blocks, and 1 yard for the strips.
Add an additional yard of scraps for the borders.

There will also be a piano key border like the one shown below. I like to start making blocks from scraps, then decide on the final size later when I see how it looks. You don't need to decide your quilt's final size now. Let's just quilt-along. ;)






















Are you inspired? This week review your stash and pick out some fabrics to get started. It's easier to pick 50 fabrics than it is to pick only 5! Cut some 6" squares and some 1" strips. Then you'll be ready to start making some blocks next Monday.
What do you think? Are you gonna give it a try?
Posted by Picasa

33 comments:

Lurline said...

Thanks, Karen - I'm going to try really hard - maybe this is what I need to get me back to the rotary cutter and sewing machine!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Anonymous said...

Yes I too will give it a go, thank you for sharing

cheers
Christine

Seams Sew Together said...

The scrappy quilt looks amazing, I'm in.

Sylvie - Madame Créative said...

This pattern is great! It is very tempting to join you.

Sujata Shah said...

Yes!!!
I am so going to join in the fun!
Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Susan said...

What fun! I have family coming today for a two week visit, so I won't be able to get the whole quilt done, but I want to at least make a few blocks with you.

Mussipitz said...

Just beautiful... makes me want to sew a quilt too...

warmest regards

Andrea

brittany marie davis said...

I love this pattern. And I am excited to get started. I'm off to round up my fabric. Thanks!

SEWButterfly said...

Yes, I will try this out!

Elsa said...

I'm intrigued and love the look of this quilt ... so I'm going to give it a go ...

Quiltdivajulie said...

I'm in ... but I don't promise to finish right away!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love this quilt. Hoping to have my machine back before Monday.

Selvage Quilter said...

Okay! I'm glad you are all in on this! I can't wait to see all the different versions. Batiks would be nice, black and whites, Kaffe's, modern "light and brights," stripes.

I'm also keeping my supplies near the sewing machine so I can whip one up now and then, when I have a few minutes.

Karen

Trudi said...

Oh, I'm so in on this one! Like Quiltdivajulie I can't promise to finish right away, but I'll go stash diving right now! LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I think I'm going to go scrappy with solid white as the asterisk.

nanotchka said...

Karen, I am so into this quilt along! I plan on making my first block or two tonight to test the water. After that I can plan my quilt. Thank you so much for sharing your talents.

Jeri said...

I am in on this one - looks fun!

Angela said...

definitely plan on making this one! Thinking about my stash already! this could be a great I Spy quilt too. Hmm....too many ideas for this quilt pattern!

quiltinbysea said...

Karen what a great design, love the striped fabrics, am going to join and try to get at least a small quilt done.
Thanks
Andrea

Selvage Quilter said...

This is going to be fun! Thanks for joining in!
Karen

yarnivorous said...

Oh very exciting! I must do the strips in stripes. Thanks for hosting this quiltalong :-)

Nancy said...

I love this quilt and will surely check my stash to find fabric to use.

Kim Brackett said...

Gorgeous quilt! Looks like fun!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

Love this and am ready to get cutting today!

Crafty Maine Mom said...

I think I am going to do this but true to my bad habits I am already trying to change the pattern. I have a bunch of 5 inch charm packs. I am thinking about using them instead. Would you suggest a 3/4 inch strip?

Unknown said...

That's great way to use my scraps! Love it :)

Mari said...

Yes, I will try, it's beautiful.

Shannon w/ Monkey Dog Quilts said...

This Asterick Quilt has been on my To Sew pile for quite some time. So, I'm wanting to join in the fun too. But, when I go to flickr.com and search for the group Old Red Barn Quilt Company - flickr can't find it. Anyone else having problems with that? Or, is it 'user error'? :)

Shannon w/ Monkey Dog Quilts said...

Oh, I think that I found it. Sorry it WAS 'user error'. LOL

Staci said...

I'm in! This is such a great quilt, and I've wanted to make one since I bought the magazine. Thanks for doing it as a quilt along, now 'someday' is now!

Wendi said...

Count me in! It will be entirely from my stash, a first for me. Can't wait to get started.

Quilt Station said...

Hi Karen, thanks for the fantastic idea, I have already made a half dozen blocks and I've encouraged my quilt group friends to have a stash buster session of it next weekend. I'll keep you posted on what we all come up with.
Love your blog and all the things to do with selvages.
Cheers Margaret

Karen said...

Karen, I heard you today on Pat's show. I work full time, but put my headphones on each to listen to the show. You were great! I've popped in to your blog for the first time. I love this asterisk block. It may be the next thing I try. Thanks for the great pictures. I'll be back when I can check out your other blog posts.