Thursday, November 5, 2009

Floral Plate Warms My Heart


I saw this plate on display in a Cracker Barrell restaurant in my travels. That's one of my favorite stops when I'm on the road. It was so pretty I decided to take a photo to show you. I love the combination of black and creamy white with multi bright colors. I should have turned the plate over to see what was written on the back but I didn't think of it at the time.

Not only does the Cracker Barrell have comfort food, they have antique decorations that warm my heart too. This plate reminds me of my Grandmother Barbara who came to this country from Lithuania by herself when she was 16 years old. Can you imagine? She could knit real fast, and she was the best cook. She had 5 kids, the middle one was my Dad. She and I were very close. She would peel the skin off grapes for me when I was a toddler. That memory makes me chuckle now.

I hope you enjoy a tender memory today.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Karen -
Lovely plates - especially the one with the black rim.
I loved your story, a quiet moment before a busy quilt show set up day.
Thanks-
barb

AnnMarie said...

Peel the skin off your grapes? WOW !!!

Selvage Quilter said...

Yeah, we'd sit side-by-side on their front porch; she'd peel a green grape and hand it to me and I'd eat it. Isn't that a cute picture?
My sister was born when I was 3 and Mom quit her nursing job to take care of us, so I was under 3. Even so, peeled grapes is pretty luxurious.
It is a sweet memory. So you never know what your little grandchild might remember about you!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Memories happen at the most unexpected moments ... thanks for sharing this one with us (love that black rimmed plate)