Monday, November 9, 2009

Join Pat Sloan's Red Zinger Mania Group!




This is the Red Zinger that I made for Quilter's Home a year ago. It was the trigger for Pat Sloan's new obsession: Red Zinger Mania! (Heh heh heh, we're here for you, Pat!) She's going to make a Red Zinger and she wants company! Pat has a forum on her site for all of us to hang out: selvage quilters, non-selvage quilters, enablers, selvage swappers, wannabees, newbies, been-there-done-thats...
I just have to share with you what Pat said in her opening post:
"I said I was not going to do this...my friends are...I see quilters everywhere doing it...but I...not I...I would be strong. I would not cave in. Even if I did blog about Karen's quilt. But alas...the other day I started to keep them. I started to KEEP my selvages...gasp...the obsession has started!" -Pat Sloan, quilter from Virginia and Internet guru

When Pat gets an idea, she goes full tilt!! You will see what I mean when you visit her sites:
This is where you register to join the fun and add your Comments: http://quiltmashup.com/index.php/topic,278.0.html
P.S. I sent her a box of selvages to get them going! I can't wait to see the quilts.

5 comments:

Jean said...

This sounds like fun, another one converted! good job!

Kerri said...

I think this could be considered a modern take on a kind of Crazy Quilt.

I think fifty years from now, these selvage quilts will be looked back on like the Cigar Silk Quilts from 100 years ago.

I couldn't find an example of a Cigar Silk quilt to show you but I did find a silk ribbon that was used for these old quilts on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-A-R-Cigar-Ribbon-Grand-Army-of-the-Republic_W0QQitemZ380173991657QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588422bee9

Kerri
http://crazystitcher.blogspot.com/

Quiltdivajulie said...

I'm in ... those two drawers full of selvages have been silently nagging at me ... this is a great quilt so, wish me luck (not so sure about the time frame for completion, but it WILL happen)!

Selvage Quilter said...

Kerri,
I agree! The last quilt in the book "Quilts from the Selvage Edge" is titled "Remembering Silk Cigar Ribbon Quilts" because the arrangement of selvages is very much like those old beauties. Take a look at the crocheted gold edge on that quilt. I wanted to include directions for that in the book, but I guess there wasn't room. That's another "crazy quilt" trait in a selvage quilt.
We are on the same page, aren't we?
Karen

Jill said...

Joined! What fun!

http://cre8fmomquilts.blogspot.com/