Monday, July 20, 2009

Akiko's Selvage Hat

Akiko Kunst of Massachusetts made this beautiful selvage hat. (If you haven't seen her selvage whale, click on the photo in the sidebar at right.) Here's what she had to say about it:
"I finished my selvage hat:) I lost my favorite hat for gardening and I couldn't find anything I like.
So I bought Amy Butler's Sky hat pattern but I couldn't decide which fabric to use.
When I was making my whale, I thought "Oh why not make the hat with selvages!"
I might get white ribbon and colorful buttons to put on my hat."
Akiko is so talented! I love how the selvavges are splayed fan-like around the brim. What an inspiration. Great job!
I hope this garden hat will be worn while sipping iced-tea, not digging holes!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful! Akiko is a very talented fiber artist! She has a great eye for color & texture. Have you seen her quilts that incorporate needlepunch felting...stunning!

Congrats, Akiko on 2 super-selvage projects!

Unknown said...

Wonderful, Akiko! I agree, she is a very talented fiber artist.

Unknown said...

Re:Karen,
It used for weeding most of times, but sipping ice-tea sounds so delight!

Thanks!!

blushing rose said...

Love her creations ! TTFN ~Marydon

Sue said...

Ohmygosh! I am going to get that pattern--- pronto--- and start on a hat of my own! I own a lavender farm and I spend long hours in the field in July. I haven't found a hat I like, but the sun is strong and I really need something on my head. My version will have a pretty purple tie. Thanks so much for sharing!

Betsy said...

I definetly want to make this

Carrie P. said...

Too cute. I love the little whale too.

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Fabulous hat!
Hugs,
Kerry

Wendy said...

LOVE this hat! Just gorgeous!

Darlee said...

Oh my... this is perfect! I love the hat, too. What a cool way to use selvages, makes me want to get into my stash and start cutting! Thank you for sharing this.