Thursday, July 23, 2009

Do You Like to Read Quilts?

Have you noticed that clothing labels are being replaced by the practice of printing the information right onto the clothing fabric? In 10 years a labels quilt like this one may be a real antique.

Label quilts are like selvage quilts in a way: they feature a common item we normally don't value or save. They're fun to read. They're tough and withstand lots of washing. They look very busy.

I like to secure my labels with bits of masking tape so it's easy to machine sew the labels onto the foundation. After sewing, just pull the tape off.

Fill empty spaces with little buttons (above). The quilt top below will be finished one of these days when I decide what kind of border I want. I love all the buttons in the sashing.

I am responsible for the Block-of-the-Month program for my guild this coming year. This labels block will be the topic for October. The Empire Quilters meet at the Fashion Institute in New York City's Garment District. How appropriate that we make a fashion labels quilt!
The blocks for Sept., Oct., Nov., and Dec. are already posted on a blog: www.empirebom.blogspot.com. If your guild needs a BOM program, feel free to use this one.



11 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Now that is a piece of art! Real originality, well done. Love the colour background fabrics and the buttons that really set it off. You must be so pleased with it.

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

fantastic! just wonderful!

Abby and Stephanie said...

First selvedges and now labels! Clever and I love it, especially the use of the buttons. Now I'm going to start checking labels as well as selvedges.

Quilt Rat said...

That is FABULOUS!!!!! Love it, I just may HAVE to make one of those. Thanks for sharing.

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

This is wonderful, Karen! I have been saving labels without knowing why - here is the answer!
Hugs,
Kerry

Unknown said...

Oh wow, just wow.
I'm making memory quilt and just took a part tons of flannel shirts.
After I see this, I don't think I can trash cloth labels....

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

That is neat. We will all have to start saving shirt labels too and combine the selvage's and the label's. Hummmm.

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow, how cool! You are right, these will become collectibles in 10 years.

jen duncan said...

What a super idea Karen! Love the block.

Em said...

I LOVE THIS! I really need to collect some labels. Gotta make this one!

Amy said...

that is realy neat, I will save my tags from clothing used for quilts.